Summer 2018 was a great time for me. My boyfriend and I got our first apartment together and adopted a goldendoodle named Ted! I also decided to pull the trigger on this blog and make my blogging dreams a reality. And.. thanks to some new habits, my anxiety was also at an all-time low!
All-in-all, I’d say this was a good summer!
Here are a few songs/albums that made it even better:
- The album ye by Kanye West
- I was never really a Kanye fan, but this album completely changed my opinion! Be sure to check out “Ghost Town” and “Violent Crimes”, those are my favorite songs on the album!
- The album ASTROWORLD by Travis Scott
- It truly feels like Travis is taking us on a ride in ASTROWORLD. This may be my favorite hip-hop album of the entire year. “Sicko Mode” is a whole new level of greatness for Travis Scott.
- The albums Is This It and Room on Fire by The Strokes
- The Strokes were ahead of their time and I’m really sad they’re not still together. I can honestly say that, in my opinion, the Strokes are one of the few musical entities who can manage to have albums where every single song is good. If you like alternative rock music, this is the group for you!
- “Hunnybee”, “Multi-Love”, “Can’t Keep Checking My Phone”, “From the Sun”, and “So Good at Being In Trouble” by Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra makes very unique music that is always relaxed, but also has upbeat band instrumentals. If you’re not into alternative music, this group may seem a little strange to you, but once you get used to it, every time they come on the radio you know you’re in for a treat.
- “I Still See Your Face”, “One Thing”, and “Right Here, Right Now” by San Holo
- I would describe San Holo as a mild EDM artist. If you’re not familiar with the terminology, EDM basically means dance music. He’s got this interesting way of combining nice, melodic vocals with strong dance beats that have an alternative twist to them.
- The album The Now Now and the song “On Melancholy Hill” by the Gorillaz
- My boyfriend told me that some music critique (I’m sorry, I don’t know which one, but nevertheless he’s a genius) described one of the Gorillaz albums as “a party at the end of the world”. I think, alternatively, that this describes the band as a whole. If you want to stretch your musical boundaries, this group will not disappoint. “Humility” would be a good place for you to start listening to their music.
- “Saturday”, “It’s Real”, and “Crime” by Real Estate
- Good, clean, relaxing alternative music: that’s what Real Estate is. They make perfect music for a sunny summer day.
- “In My Feelings” by Drake
- I wouldn’t say this song is a stand-out, but it’s definitely a catchy, feel-good song!
- “Praise the Lord” by A$AP Rocky
- This song has a very cool vibe. It’s a nice night-time song to cruise around town to!
- “I Like It”, “Drip”, and “Ring” by Cardi B
- I wouldn’t call myself a huge Cardi B fan, but the girl’s got talent. These are my favorite songs off her new album!
- “Slippery”, “T-Shirt”, “Bad and Boujee”, and “Get Right Witcha” by Migos
- Migos just knows how to make songs with catchy beats! Keep in mind that the content of these songs is definitely going to be rough since the Migos are straight-up gangsters.
- “In Undertow”, “Dreams Tonite”, “Adult Diversion”, and “Archie, Marry Me” by Alvvays
- Alvvways is an indie-alternative band with very chill aura. The lead singer’s voice is almost hypnotic. If you like relaxing, feel-good music, I think you would like Alvvays.
- “While We’re Young” and “Moments” by Jhené Aiko
- This is one of the women whom I want to thank for bringing back good female R&B music. Her melodies will put you into a trance; it’s just magical.
- “Boo’d Up” and “Trip” by Ella Mai
- This is the other woman I want to thank for bringing back good female R&B Music! She had some very interesting nuances in her songs that just make them irresistibly catchy, yet emotional at the same time.
- “1901”, “Lisztomania”, and “Fences” by Phoenix
- Phoenix is a very, very cool alternative band. They tend to lean toward ambiguous intellectual lyrics that keep you guessing, yet still interested, no matter how many times you hear their songs. They’re another great sunny summer day band!
- “13lack 13alloon” by Denzel Curry
- Denzel Curry kind of snuck up on me, honestly. He’s just…wow. I may even put him up there with Travis Scott on my list of the best male hip-hop artists. It’s my goal to finish listening to the whole album this song is on, but I just haven’t gotten to it yet. I love his personality in the lyrics of this song and the attitude is gold.
And just because I love all of you, here’s the whole Soundtrack to My Summer.
What were some of your favorite songs this summer?